Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Deconstructing the Jesus Phenomena

A few years ago I had what most religious pundits would call an awakening. Sorry for them it did not go in their favor. Instead, I found myself faced with the question "How could I have believed in Jesus so blindly?" Don't get me wrong. The existence of Jesus is a fact firmly recorded in the annals of history. What history cannot support is that he, or a likeness of his arose from death or a situation similar to death and ascended "up" into heaven.

Now, here is where I have a problem. Those of you that have ever attended a science class know quite well the small phenomenon of the spherical shape of the Earth. It so happens that if you are standing at the north pole poining up, you are in effect pointing away from south pole and to anyone on that end of the Earth, you would therefore be pointing down and vise versa. If you are still with me so far, you have to ask yourself, which "up" did Jesus ascend to. The one of south pole or the one of the its counterpart, the north pole.

I see those who subscribe to religious beliefs forming defensive thoughts of omnipresence and that heaven could be all around us. The fact that the bible alludes to heaven as a specific location much similar to Earth and the fact that it was conceived as so by the limitations of human imagination is a topic too wide for today's introductory discourse and surely topics for another day. What I would like to remind you is that before Pythagoras broached the subject of the shape of the Earth, before Plato introduced it to his students and before Aristotle sought to prove it, everyone thought the Earth was a disk and one side, the upper side, was good and represented heaven. The lower, bad side, represented hell. How come the "God" inspired bible did not correct these ambiguities that we now know for sure to be true? Did God not know that his world was a sphere, not a disk? Which begs the question: Where is this heaven and where did Jesus go?

The best way to explain Jesus would be to start with a disection of who Jesus was, which I will do in my next post.

Madd Shame

No comments: